I’m sure you’ve seen this series of videos before on the rapidly changing world we reside in. I showed it to the class the other day after the principal prompted some thought on how education is/should be changing when discussing this with the class.
So I asked: What does this mean for your education? For WHAT and HOW you should be learning?
Here are their ideas:
- Maybe sports are not useful. But perhaps it helps with your health.
- You need to be taught to think for yourself.
- You need to be taught how to be independent.
- It’s more about teaching us skills than knowing a bunch of stuff.
- You need to learn to problem solve.
- The basics are always going to be important – maths, reading and writing…
- Perhaps art is not important.
- Letting students be creative is important – thinking outside the box.
- Teach us strategies to work things out for ourselves, but not the answers.
- Kids need to know where their next steps are.
- Kids need to be taught how to cope with changes.
- Be adaptable.
- Be patient.
- Listening skills.
- How to research and find out things for yourself.
- Respecting others’ ideas and differences.
- Being committed, self disciplined and dedicated.
- Thinking of others, not just yourself.